Are you pondering the installation of burglar bars and intrigued about the potential expense? In South Africa, burglar bars typically range from R700 to R2,000 per square metre. This guide will look into the various types of burglar bars, the components influencing their price, and the average costs for each type. Opting for GP Security and Burglar Bars partner for your burglar bar installation comes with numerous benefits:
- Bespoke design tailored to your needs
- Sturdy and long-lasting materials
- Expert installation service
- A wide variety of styles to select from
- Affordable competitive pricing
Are you looking to install burglar bars at your home or business? Contact Gp Security Gates and Burglar Bars today and we will connect you to a vetted partner in your area.
Varieties of Burglar Bars
The market offers a diverse range of burglar bars. Here are the three most popular types:
Fixed Burglar Bars
Fixed burglar bars are permanently mounted on windows or doors. They are typically made from durable materials like steel or aluminium.
- Robust and durable, offering excellent security against break-ins.
- Usually the most affordable option.
- Low maintenance, as they do not have moving parts.
- Lack of flexibility; cannot be removed or retracted.
- Can obstruct views and natural light.
- In case of emergencies, they could potentially hinder escape routes.
Removable Burglar Bars
Removable burglar bars can be easily detached and reinstalled as required. They offer a degree of flexibility and convenience.
- Provide security while allowing flexibility in removing when necessary.
- Suitable for properties with varying security needs.
- Can be removed in case of emergencies.
- Can be less secure than fixed bars, as they can potentially be removed by intruders.
- Might require more maintenance due to their movable parts.
Transparent Burglar Bars
Transparent burglar bars are made of high-strength, clear polycarbonate materials. They offer a balance of security and aesthetics.
- Aesthetically pleasing; do not obstruct views or natural light.
- High-strength material that is virtually unbreakable.
- Suitable for properties that prioritise appearance along with security.
- Usually more expensive than steel or aluminium bars.
- Might require special cleaning products to maintain clarity.
Retractable Trellis Burglar Bars
Retractable trellis burglar bars are designed to slide open or closed. They provide a secure barrier when closed, and can be neatly tucked away when not in use.
- Offer a high level of security while allowing for flexibility.
- Can be fully retracted when not in use, allowing for unobstructed views.
- Can be opened in case of emergencies.
- Typically more expensive due to the complex mechanism.
- Require regular maintenance to ensure smooth operation.
- Need adequate space for retraction.
Factors Determining the Price of Burglar Bars
Various factors can sway the price of burglar bars, necessitating a comprehensive understanding of these aspects when budgeting and selecting the appropriate option for your property.
The type of material used significantly impacts the final price of burglar bars. The common materials include:
- Steel: Distinguished for its strength and longevity, steel is typically the most budget-friendly choice for burglar bars. However, steel is prone to rusting and may require routine maintenance for its upkeep.
- Aluminium: Light in weight and rust-resistant, aluminium offers a mid-tier pricing option for burglar bars. While not as robust as steel, it still provides a good level of protection and requires less upkeep.
- Polycarbonate: As a high-end option, polycarbonate (used in clear burglar bars) offers a visually pleasing, high-strength alternative that is virtually indestructible
Size and Design
The size and design of your burglar bars also play a role in determining the cost:
- Larger windows and doors: Bigger windows or doors will require more materials and labour, leading to increased costs.
- Bespoke designs: If you choose unique designs or intricate patterns to match your property’s aesthetics, expect a higher price due to the extra craftsmanship and materials involved
Average Costs of Burglar Bars
Below are the average costs for the most common types of burglar bars:
Fixed Burglar Bars Average Price
Fixed burglar bars generally cost between R700 and R1,200 per square metre, including materials and installation. They offer great security at an affordable price point making them the most popular option for most homeowners.
Removable Burglar Bars Average Price
Removable burglar bars are slightly more expensive, ranging from R1,000 to R1,800 per square metre, which includes both materials and installation.
Retractable-Trellis Burglar Bars
Retractable-trellis burglar bars are a flexible and convenient option. They can be easily extended and retracted as needed, offering a balance of security and accessibility. These bars are typically priced between R1,000 and R1,800 per square metre, including materials and installation
Clear Burglar Bars Average Price
Clear burglar bars are one of the priciest options, with prices ranging from R1,500 to R2,000 per square metre, inclusive of materials and installation. Clear burglar bars are crafted from robust, see-through polycarbonate materials. They offer a visually appealing alternative without compromising on security
Custom/Decorative Burglar Bars Average Price
Custom or decorative burglar bars represent a premium option, combining enhanced security with aesthetics. These are typically the most expensive among all burglar bar types, with prices ranging from R2,000 to R5,000 per square metre.
Looking for more pricing info regarding the costs of securing a property?
Advantages of Installing Burglar Bars
There are several benefits to installing burglar bars:
- Enhanced security: Burglar bars provide an additional layer of protection against break-ins.
- Increased property value: A well-secured home can be more appealing to potential buyers.
- Peace of mind: The knowledge that your home is protected can give you a sense of security and comfort.
- Deterrence of crime: The visible presence of burglar bars can deter potential intruders from targeting your home.
- Improved safety for children: Burglar bars can prevent children from accidentally falling out of windows or accessing dangerous areas.
- Energy efficiency: Some types of burglar bars can provide an additional layer of insulation, helping to regulate indoor temperatures and reduce energy costs.
- Customisability: Burglar bars come in various materials, designs, and colours, allowing you to match them to your home’s style and décor.
- Enhanced privacy: Burglar bars can obstruct the view into your home from the outside, increasing privacy without the need for curtains or blinds.
Choosing the Appropriate Burglar Bars for Your Home
To choose the right burglar bars for your home, consider the following factors:
- Your budget: Determine how much you can afford to spend on burglar bars and installation.
- Aesthetics: Choose a style and material that complement your home’s appearance.
- Security needs: Assess your home’s security risks and select the appropriate type of burglar bars.
- Local regulations: Check if there are any regulations or guidelines for burglar bar installation in your area.
Why Choose GP Security Gates and Burglar Bars for Your Burglar Bar Installation?
Choosing a GP Security Gates and Burglar Bars partner for your burglar bar installation offers several advantages:
- Expertise: Our Partners have the requisite experience and knowledge to install burglar bars properly.
- Quality materials: Our Partners use high-quality materials to ensure the durability and effectiveness of your burglar bars.
- Competitive pricing: Our partners offer competitive pricing, ensuring you get the best value for your investment.
- Fast service: Our partners ensure a timely installation and quicker response times for maintenance or repair requests.
- Customised solutions: Our partners can offer personalised recommendations based on your unique security needs and preferences, ensuring the best possible outcome for your home.
- Trustworthy reputation: Our partners are well-established in the community and have built a strong reputation for quality workmanship and customer satisfaction.
Choosing a GP Security and Burglar Bars partner for your burglar bar installation will ensure a professional installation and a secure, worry-free environment for you and your family.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are burglar bars a worthwhile investment?
Indeed, burglar bars provide an added layer of security and can enhance the value of your home.
Can I install burglar bars myself?
While it’s possible to install burglar bars yourself, it’s recommended to work with a professional installer for optimal security and durability.
Are there any alternatives to traditional burglar bars?
Yes, alternatives like security film, roller shutters, and security screens can provide similar protection without the appearance of traditional burglar bars.
How do I maintain my burglar bars?
Regularly inspect your burglar bars for signs of wear or damage, and clean them with a mild soap and water solution to prevent rust and dirt buildup.
Do burglar bars affect my home insurance premiums?
Installing burglar bars may lower your home insurance premiums, as they provide added security and reduce the risk of break-ins. It’s best to consult with your insurance provider to understand the potential impact